Travel Cheap: Went to Paris, Skipped The Louvre

We went to Paris and didn’t go to the Louvre. Yep, it’s another edition of Travel Cheap with Mr. and Mrs. Frugalwoods. I’ve talked about our courageous palates and willingness to travel at unusual times in the past. Today, I’m thrilled to be posting on Debt Debs sharing my cheapo sightseeing tips. Many thanks to the fabulous Debs for taking a chance on me since this is my first ever guest post. Woo hoo! To read the full post, head on over to Debt Debs!

St. Elizabeth’s Church (aka “The Blue Church”) in Bratislava, Slovakia.

St. Elizabeth’s Church (aka “The Blue Church”) in Bratislava, Slovakia.

Never Miss A Story

Sign up to get new Frugalwoods stories in your email inbox.

We're not fans of spam, canned or not. None of that here. Powered by ConvertKit

You may also like...

13 Responses

1. Wow. Louvre is one of the world’s largest museums and it seems like everybody wants to visit it. When I visit Paris, Louvre is on the top of my list. You’re lucky!

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

True, the Louvre is usually the first place people visit in Paris! Hope you get to go to Paris soon–it’s a wonderful city.

2. Ryan says:

I wish I could remember where I heard/read the story recently, but it was about how the most popular museums in Paris, London, the Vatican etc. are seeing such a huge increase in visitors now with the global rise of the middle class. Since everyone wants to go to these same places, there is no time when they are not packed, even being open 7 days a week and with extended hours.

You can be frugal and avoid the crowds simultaneously. In Vienna recently, I skipped the art museum and went straight to the Art Forgery museum! More interesting (for me), only a dozen people there, and probably 90% cheaper.

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

That story sounds right up my alley–if you remember the source, could you send it to me? Our experience absolutely jives with that. The “top tourist sites” are just massively overrun all the time.

The Art Forgery museum sounds great! I’m bummed Mr. FW and I missed that when we were in Vienna!

3. I’m not much of a museum person. I went to an art exhibit once at a local museum, and the artist was there (of course, I guess, since I don’t really know how these things work). My boyfriend was from a rather well-to-do family, so he knew how to behave. He was pretty mortified by my behavior. I just couldn’t stop giggling. The artist was acting all stereotypically pretentious and the people (patrons?) were all oh-so-serious. He stood it as long as he could and got me out of there. The best part about it? We left AND I didn’t end up marrying him. DOUBLE WIN (for both of us)! Anyway, man I’m long winded. All that just to say that if I were in Paris, I probably wouldn’t even have the Louvre on my radar. It just sounds incredibly boring to me! I’d rather be outside enjoying the (frugal) sites. Now I can’t wait to head on over and read the post, Mrs. FW ! 🙂

4. Thanks so much for your wonderful guest post, Mrs FW! I love hearing about your travel adventures and it’s obvious that you love traveling and being together so much! You’re welcome to travel to me anytime and bring Frugal Hound, of course. We can mind her while you see the sites. 😀

5. Tawcan says:

Very interesting. I’m too big of a museum buff to not to go to world class museums like Louvre though.

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

It was more about choosing between museums for us. We didn’t want to pay to see every museum, so we went to the Musee D’Orsay and a few other smaller museums instead of the Louvre.

• The first place I would go is the Louvre. To see art that is world renowned is an amazing experience and that is what is in there. Then I would go to the Eiffel Tower.

Keep cranking,

Robert the DividendDreamer

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

The Louvre definitely has a lot of art :). I was fortunate to have visited it the first time I was in Paris. Thanks so much for stopping by!

6. TomTrottier says:

More frugal tips:
    – see local tourist office(s) for local events, maps, guides;
    – check out gallery exhibition openings for free wine & cheese;
    – buy a day or weekend or week bus/subway pass;
    – buy a citybike day pass – helmet superfluous if you are careful.
    Checkout local festivals – common in the country, also in cities, scheduling can be worthwhile.
    Download maps b4 u go to your smartphone (put in a 32GB microSD card if necessary) – GPS is free everywhere, data/maps not so much.
    Some credit cards do not charge foreign exchange – eg, Amazon.
    Loose change and leaving a country? Add it to a starbucks card b4 u leave, or keep as souvenir.
    Washington DC museums are all free! Many others too, esp in capital cities.