How to Give Home Haircuts in 8 Easy Steps
A recurring expense in many a budget: haircuts! Hair grows and unless you’re cultivating the Gandalf look, you’re gonna need to cut it. We save $40 a month ($480/year) on Mr. Frugalwoods by cutting his hair in-house (specifically in the bathtub). Disclaimer: some of my technique is based on the fact that Mr. Frugalwoods is 6’3″ and I’m 5’6,” so your approach may vary…
Have the right tools for the job. I use:
- Wahl 79300-400 Color Pro 20 Piece Complete Haircutting Kit (henceforth referred to as “buzzer”)
- Wahl 9918-6171 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer (henceforth referred to as “trimmer”)
- A razor (henceforth referred to as “razor”)
Step 1: Start with subject standing in bathtub and shave neck hairs with razor.
- Lather neck with shaving cream (or conditioner) and commence the shave! Using the razor yields a much closer shave than the buzzer or trimmer for the neck.
- Don’t worry about getting a perfectly straight line at this point, we’ll work on that later.
- P.S. You want to be in the bathtub because…Hair. Gets. Everywhere.
Step 2: Have subject sit down and start buzzing with buzzer.
- We have a small plastic folding stool that Mr. Frugalwoods sits on inside the bathtub so that I can easily buzz from above.
- I use the #2 buzzer attachment, which is a pretty close buzz.
- Start at the bottom and work your way towards the top of the head. Then, buzz crown of the head and the front.
Step 3: Ears!
- Put the “ear guard” attachment on the buzzer and buzz around each ear starting from back to front. Don’t worry about getting every little hair at this stage, just get the general line around the ears.
Step 4: Polish the ears.
- Use the trimmer to more clearly outline the ears. Mr. Frugalwoods holds his ear in a downwards fold while I buzz buzz around. This helps get all the wispy hairs in that vicinity and creates a clean ear line.
Step 5: Around the world.
- Do one more buzzer buzz all over with the #2 attachment. I always miss a few tufts here and there and this ensures an even haircut.
Step 6: Conclude with your subject standing and clean-up that neckline.
- Now’s the time to even out that neckline. Use the trimmer to get a straight line across the neck. Bring the razor back in if needed.
- Don’t worry too much about perfection here, it’ll look fine, I promise.
Step 7: Shower.
- Your subject will definitely need to shower. Depending on your relationship, you can shower with them! I don’t know why, but hair flies everywhere.
Step 8: Rejoice, admire, and count your saved cash!
P.S. Mr. Frugalwoods also cuts my hair at home! Check out our tutorial here: Final Frontier Of Frugality: My Husband Gave Me A Haircut.
Never Miss A Story
Sign up to get new Frugalwoods stories in your email inbox.