Let’s Take The Uber Frugal Month Challenge Together!
Note: You can sign-up for the Uber Frugal Month Challenge at any time! Although we take the Challenge as a group every January and July, you can start it on your own whenever you’d like. Just sign-up in the box below and you’ll receive an email a day for 31 days.
Do you want to save more money in 2017? Ok, Ok I fully realize we just got over Thanksgiving and that Christmas is weeks away yet. And so, it might seem premature to begin a conversation about New Year’s resolutions. However, I’m broaching the topic early this year because, for the first time in Frugalwoods history, I’m hosting an Uber Frugal Month Challenge in January!
I know that many of you have completed the Uber Frugal Month Challenge on your own, because you’ve sent me countless success stories. And so, I thought that since everything is better when done with friends, we should do the Uber Frugal Month Challenge together! Sound exciting? Sound terrible? Either way, keep reading.
As many of you know, the Uber Frugal Month is how Mr. Frugalwoods and I got our start in extreme frugality. It chronicles the precise steps we took to launch ourselves to a savings rate of 72%+, and chart our way to financial independence and our homestead in the woods.
Beyond merely saving money, an Uber Frugal Month resets your brain, and more specifically, your degree of hedonic adaptation. Through an Uber Frugal Month, you learn that not buying things isn’t difficult. You’ll realize that saving money can become your default approach to finances. The Uber Frugal Month will serve as your touchpoint for your maximum frugality level.
After the Challenge, you might decide you don’t want to live quite that frugally, but I can almost guarantee you won’t go back to spending as much as you did before participating in the Challenge. In general, with an Uber Frugal Month, you’ll find that your natural set point of frugality has migrated to a more frugal level on the spending continuum. And what you’ll then discover is that frugality isn’t just a way to save money, it’s a life philosophy you can apply to everything you do.
It’s incredibly easy for all of us to get caught up in the lifestyle inflation trap of treating ourselves and continually upgrading our material possessions. After all, that’s what everyone else does. Except for everyone else participating in this Challenge!
The Uber Frugal Month Challenges You To:
- Examine all of your spending.
- Categorize mandatory vs. discretionary expenses.
- Identify areas where you can reduce or eliminate spending–and then do it!
- Go as frugal as you possibly can for one whole entire month.
- At the end of the month, identify what level of frugality is feasible for YOU to embrace for the longterm.
The Uber Frugal Month Challenge is no joke. It’s no semi-frugal, maybe-I’ll-cut-down-on-one-latte-per-week scheme. This is the hardcore, I am willing to change in order to save more money RIGHT NOW scheme. Lucky for you, it works, it’s straightforward, and–for the first time ever–we’re going to do it together!
In the month of January 2017 (which is next month… eeeek!), I invite you to join me, and fellow frugal sojourners, in following the Uber Frugal Month Challenge. Fear not, I’ll provide in-depth information on how to execute your very own Uber Frugal Month.
Uber Frugal Month Challenge FAQs (actually I have no idea if these are FAQs since I’ve never done this before… so feel free to ask more Qs in the comments!):
1) If you’re anything like me, your first question is, “how much will this cost?” In allegiance with my frugal belief system, participating in the Challenge is completely FREE. So, no excuses!
2) Where do I sign up? Put your email address in the box below and click on the Signup button:
Uber Frugal Month Challenge Signup
We all need encouragement and inspiration on our financial journey! Signup to receive an email a day from me for 31 days. Every email has a tip, a mantra, an action item, and recommended reading, all designed to help you transform your finances. You can take the UFM at any time and as many times as you want!
3) Why a month? I find that a month is long enough to give you a true sense of how extreme frugality feels, but short enough to ensure you’ll stick it out all 31 days. What I experienced after my very first Uber Frugal Month was awe at how little I missed my erstwhile spendy ways. For the most part, I simply didn’t need the junk I’d been wasting my money on.
4) What will we do? We’ll kick off with a full rundown on what an Uber Frugal Month entails (which you can read right here) and how to incorporate the strategies of extreme frugality into your life. I’ll send all members of the Challenge a daily email of inspiration/motivation/frugal strategy.
5) Where will we talk with other members of the Challenge? On Facebook! We’ll have regular discussions, moderated by me, on our Uber Frugal Month Challenge Facebook page. Yes, you will need a Facebook account in order to participate in this aspect of the Challenge, but that too is free of charge (hooray!). P.S. If you’d rather not get a Facebook account, you can still participate in the Challenge by signing up in the box at the bottom of this post.
6) What’s the goal? The overarching goal of participating in the Uber Frugal Month is to get your spending in alignment with your goals. Additionally, you’ll learn how much more money you can save every month if you live with the extreme frugality mindset. You just might find yourself on track to achieve financial independence and retire early…
7) Who should sign up? Anyone who wants to improve their finances! This Challenge is tailored for folks who already understand the basics of frugality (which if you’re reading this, you do) and who want to augment their savings. Whether you’re new to frugality, or you’ve been practicing it for decades, you are welcome! The Challenge is especially for you if you think you can’t possibly save any more money. Even old-timers like me need a refresh with our frugality and the Uber Frugal Month is the perfect opportunity to check-in with not only our spending and savings projections, but also our mindset as it relates to consumption.
8) When is this again? The entire month of January 2017. We start January 1, hungover or not!
9) What happens at the end of the Challenge? All participants will be invited to share success stories and lessons learned here on Frugalwoods.
10) Why are you doing this, Mrs. FW? For the same reason I write this blog: I’m passionate about spreading the message that through frugality, you can achieve a happier, more peaceful, less stressful existence. And I’m passionate about demonstrating that everyone can manage their money wisely, and I’m passionate about the fact that consuming more stuff doesn’t equal a life. And I’m passionate about helping people re-architect their lives so that they don’t need to spend a ton of money in order to be happy, fulfilled, and at peace. That’s really what this is all about.
Ok that’s all I can think of for now. You can begin signing up for the Challenge today and I’ll send out reminders throughout December. We’ll start on January 1, so don’t delay! If you’ve already signed up, be sure to read Uber Frugal Month: The Ultimate Guide To Saving More Money Than You Ever Thought Possible.