Weekly Woot & Grumble: Thieving Dolphins & Some Guy Named Plutus

Woot

Earlier this week I learned an amazing thing: Frugalwoods is a finalist for a Plutus Award! If you just asked the question “what the heck is a Plutus Award” well then my friends, you are in luck! Here is a fact you can learn today: Plutus Awards “recognize the best of the personal finance blogosphere” and are awarded annually to the top personal finance blogs at a thing called FinCon.

You will be astounded to learn that FinCon is NOT, in fact, a convention for pickpocketing dolphins, which was naturally my first assumption. It’s actually “a peer conference for the financial media community” (2nd fact of the day). So, pretty much a bunch of people like me (though probs not as weird) congregating, sipping scotch, and discussing the interior leather color on their 50′ yachts (which I still don’t own, don’t care to, and never will, btw).

PlutusAwardHound

We are blown away and deeply honored to be finalists! The only problem? We were nominated for Most Humorous Personal Finance Blog. Folks, I don’t know what gave you the impression that this is a humorous blog. This is a financially astute, rigorously analyzed, altogether serious blog. Frugalwoods would never write such tawdry frugal comedy as Great Trash Finds, Breakfast: The Hidden Destroyer, Travel Cheap by Being a Thanksgiving Weirdo, or the venerated Frugal Hound Sniffs column.

We aim to deliver our content in the driest, most straightforward manner possible. I’d never make you wade through a million photos I’d taken of my clothes spread out on my floor in order to learn why I’m banned from thrift stores for the remainder of 2014. And I’d certainly never launch a series entirely dedicated to interviewing other people’s pets, written by my dog. Who DOES that?!

This photo has nothing to do with this post

This photo has nothing to do with this post, but look at how loooong she is!

But in all honesty, I am taking a break from spamming the world with greyhound photos posting really useful and intelligent content to say THANK YOU. Really and truly, Mr. Frugalwoods and I are nothing less than bowled over to be finalists. We are honored, thrilled, shocked (again, people are actually reading this thing?!), and just downright giddy as a greyhound in a bathtub of squirrels.

We are grateful to everyone who voted for us, supported, and encouraged us along this little blog journey. And, to frost our frugal cake, on the same day that the Plutus Award finalists were announced, my Behind The Scenes of a Happy Frugal Marriage (hint: ours!) was featured on the venerable Rockstar Finance! With a photo of us sans heads! I felt like I’d eaten an entire bag of candy corn, which, let’s be honest here, I have done, so I speak from a position of authority.

Thank you.

frugalhound-plutus

Grumble

Alas, the only grumble I can muster this week amidst such unfettered glee is the sad fact that the Frugalwoods fam will not be attending FinCon this year. I’m sure it’ll be fin-tastic, filled with dolphins trying to con people out of their wallets all my new internet-y friends. I’d get to do ridiculous things in person with you (as opposed to just on here and through my woefully inept usage of twitter and Pinterest). Sorry not sorry* to all of my followers about the deluge of Frugal Hound photos… and the fact that I consistently don’t use the # symbol correctly.

Mr. FW & I wistfully thinking of FInCon

Mr. FW & I wistfully thinking of FInCon

Mr. Frugalwoods and I do oh so hope to attend next year’s FinCon (at which I imagine there will be a case study session featuring me titled: “What NOT To Do with your Blog on Social Media”). Additionally, I am devoting the year to preparing (and testing) a plan for smuggling Frugal Hound into the conference. Ideas welcome. When submitting ideas, keep in mind that she:

• Weighs 60 lbs
  • Is a tall greyhound
  • Does not fit in a duffle bag (that we know of, have not actually attempted)
  • Is awkward
  • Makes a lot of unusual grunting/burping noises
  • Is not what we would call intelligent

*I was informed by my hip, 17-yr-old sister-in-law (who I love very much), that “sorry not sorry” is like a thing the kids say.

And now, in honor of our esteemed nomination, what is your favorite pun?

I’ll go first: What if soy milk is just milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Never Miss A Story

Sign up to get new Frugalwoods stories in your email inbox.

We're not fans of spam, canned or not. None of that here. Powered by ConvertKit

You may also like...

70 Responses

1. Autumn says:

Congrats on the nomination!! That’s amazing. And so well deserved.

Favorite pun, in honor of the Frugal Hound Sniffs series: My dog has a lot of potential. You just have to unleash it.

I know, I know. That was pawful.

2. Congrats on your nomination!! You absolutely deserve it! My favorite pun is both a pun and applies to my real life “I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.” Have a great weekend!!

3. Kirsten says:

Pun for the day: no matter how much you push the envelope, it’ll still be stationery. (This reminds me of how I feel at work)

Congrats again on being a finalist for your dull, overly technical, and deeply serious blog. It’s too bad you don’t bring levity, though.

And I had no idea you had a Greyhound. Good thing you don’t write about her much – that would detract from the serious issues here!

Sarcasm is my natural form of humor 😉

Dress Frugal Hound up as an aide dog?

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Stationary! BAHAHAH! Yeah, I wasn’t sure if anyone knew we had a dog, so I figured I should try and take a photo of her or something. Thought about aide dog, but she’d FAIL as she bumps into walls & sundry items all the time (poor thing, we think she has bad vision, but she refuses to wear her glasses).

And, congrats to you too my friend!

4. Congrats on being a finalist. And of course I now that fincon is not about dolphins!!! It’s about sharks! Geez! And yeah I’m so surprised you were nominated for being funny as this is the most straightforward and boring personal finance blog out there! :)))) yes I’m totally kidding (in case your eyes glazed over the smily faces and you thought, “I can’t believe that b___ just said that!” Seriously (get it?), it’s great when people can take a subject like personal finance and make it so fun and user friendly! Great job!

5. Congratulations on your nomination!!! Even thought I’m new to your blog, I truly think you deserve it! I’m so happy for you. And how lame am I that I don’t even have a favorite pun? I’ll work on that… hahah

6. Lauren says:

Congrats on the nomination! It’s well deserved- your posts are always entertaining and fun to read 🙂

7. Kara says:

Congrats on your nomination! I’ll go in cahoots with you to get Frugal Hound to FinCon next year!

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Thank you so much, Kara! Good plan re. FinCon–maybe your pugs can run interference and distract w/their cuteness 🙂

8. I’m so glad you got nominated, but I’m really bummed you won’t be there. But hey – I got nominated last year and won when I couldn’t be there, so maybe it’s good luck!!!

9. Congrats again on the nomination! I can only pull off puns in the moment, so I don’t have any favorites off-hand. I think you should just bring Frugal Hound, and let her work her magic. Who can say no to her?!

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Thank you so much! I totally understand–situational puns are the best. Awww, I certainly can’t say no to her!

10. Alicia says:

I love that you were nominated… and wrote such a serious post all about how serious you are 😉

In honour of bad puns, I’ll go science-y. “I had to make all these bad puns because all the good chemistry jokes argon”. Ugh, I’m so lame.

As for getting Frugal Hound into FinCon next year. Just walk in the front door – she’s a blogger too ya know. She interviews all the PF animals and is a staple of FW. Plus, everyone would automatically know who you were because she’d basically be your mascot.

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Why thank you! Yes, this is a very serious blog so I felt a serious response was warranted.

ARGON! womp womp

You’re so right–I wonder if people would even know who I was without her by my side?! I’ll have to make a t-shirt of her face or something tacky. Maybe airbrushed on?

11. may says:

Congratulations! So excited to see you were a finalist.

12. I love your site and I’m SO happy you’ve been honored with this nomination! I’ll be praying for your win! 🙂 I have no favorite puns off the top of my head, but I did need to share this little tidbit. My hubby’s been reading your site for a few weeks now too and he just mentioned your horse last night. When I looked at him confused-like, he said, “the horse is always pictured on there”. Of course, a horse is not a horse, of course, when it is a DOG. LOL Oh my, he sure was surprised when I told him it was a dog. You know, as in FRUGAL HOUND. I’m still giggling. 🙂 CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN TO YOU, MR. FW, AND YOUR “HORSE” ! 🙂

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Oh that is hilarious. THE HORSE! People have asked if she’s a horse, a giraffe (really??), or a deer. HAH! I do think she would look cute with a little saddle on. Also, did your husband think we had a horse living inside our house :)?? Not that I’d be opposed to that…

Thank you so much for the congrats–I really appreciate it!

13. Kipp says:

Congrats on the nomination!

So for the puns, my dad has set up some beehives this year so in the card I wrote this:
    “The buzz around the hive is that it was your bee-day! Hope it was as sweet as honey!”

14. Nicola says:

So pleased you’re a finalist! And this is a fantastic post 🙂 I can’t think of any puns at all now you’ve asked! Have a good weekend 🙂

15. Tawcan says:

Congrats on the nomination! Always enjoyed reading your blog and I’m not surprised to see you as one of the finalists.

16. cheapRN says:

Congratulations to the whole Frugalwoods Family, including Frugal Hound! I really enjoy your humorous approach to personal finance. Also you have a great mascot in Frugal Hound who seems more than willing to pose in whatever position it takes to get the point across! Here’s keeping the fingers crossed you’re a winner. I don’t have a pun but I do have a Chuck Norris meme (which my boys tell me on an almost daily basis)–While doing CPR, Chuck Norris brought the dummy back to life.

17. Kim says:

Ooooh, I was just at a yard sale and saw a suitcase big enough for a 60 pound greyhound, but I doubt it’s soundproof. I think it was $3, so let me know if you want me to go snag it for you. Congrats on your nomination.

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Hey! $3 sounds like a deal I could get behind. I like your thinking, Kim… we might be onto something here. Thank you so much–I appreciate it 🙂

18. Very happy for you guys that you are a finalist…but for humor??? Seriously??? All kidding, aside you and Mr. FW along with Frugal Hound run a very entertaining show AND have great content which is a winning formula 🙂

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

I know, right?! We should be in the “extremely important facts blog” category. Thank you so much for all the good wishes, Kassandra :)!

19. Mrs. FW,

Congrats on the nomination! Proud to be a fellow finalist!

As far as puns go, how about:

“Interest has such accrual way of accumulating.”

What would you expect from the blog in the investing category? 🙂

Best wishes!

20. Congrats and well deserved! I always enjoy reading your posts and perspective on things. Sorry, I can’t think of any puns.

21. Haha I wish I had puns that I could randomly pull out on demand, but I don’t. I won’t be going to FinCon this year, either. It landed during a terrible time as we are working on the 8+4 forecast at work and since I’m a financial analyst I kind of have to be there to do my primary job function…During FinCon I typically just try to ignore all the tweets/blogs/facebook posts of all the other bloggers having a good time : )

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

I know, I’ll have to ignore all their happy posts and updates too ;)! Maybe next year we’ll both go and can meet up!

22. Ahhh congrats!!! That’s so exciting? I’m not going either, but I heard something about a virtual party for the non- attendees that I plan on crashing?

23. What do you call a cat paying a toll for a trip to Mars? A catastrophe.

Cat-astro-phe.

And a huge congratulations on being a finalist! You make those miscreant dolphins proud!

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

That’s a good one! Love cat jokes (as does Frugal Hound). Thank you so much! Hope those crafty dolphins are kept in check!

24. Congrats on the nomination! Awesome! And totally deserved, of course!

No puns on my part though. My best puns are in Dutch only, dammit. Sad day to be a Belgian.

25. SO excited that you got nominated, FW family. 🙂 We are not going to FINCON either this year, so we’ll sit at home and wish we were there, hanging out with you guys and all the other totally fun, totally weird PF people, LOL.

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Thank you so much, I appreciate it! And, many congrats to you on your TWO nominations too!! I’m excited I got to use all forms of “to” in that sentence. Seriously though, well deserved!

26. jefferson says:

Congrats on the Plutus nomination. That is some big doins.

We will also be missing Fincon this year, sadly. I am starting a new job and won’t have any PTO. I did go the last two years and had a blast, however, so you should try to make it in 2015.

27. Wow, you are nominated for the Plutus award. You deserve it because we your readers enjoy every post you have on frugalwoods. Goodluck!

28. Congrats on your nomination! Hope you win but sorry you can’t make it =)

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Thank you so much, I appreciate it! I’m sad we can’t make it :(. And, huge congrats to you on your nomination!

29. I have only recently found your site but can see that you are very worthy of this nomination. A great accomplishment.

30. Even Steven says:

I’m slowly creeping over to the Frugalwoods side and one of the only dogs that makes my Husky look slow at the dog park, but her leaping ability and me yelling out my dog’s got hops is still in tact. Congrats on the award and being funny.

31. Frugalwoods you so deserve to win! I laugh so much when I’m hear that I have to keep all liquid beverages away from my lips.

Since I’m an accountant, I want to ask you how does an accountant stay out of debt?
    She learns to act her wage.
    Clearly I’m too young at heart for my own good.

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Aww, thank you! Beware liquid beverages–wait, what beverages are you drinking that aren’t liquid? Jello shots ;)?

Nice pun!

32. Don’t you dare stop posting dog pics! That’s the only reason I come here… I mean uhhh congrats!

Jay

• Mrs. Frugalwoods says:

Hahah! You’ve discovered my secret… Frugalwoods is really just a cover so that I can get away with posting millions of Frugal Hound photos ;). Thanks for the congrats!

33. Congrats on the nomination as well! This will be my 2nd FinCon. Went last minute last year and actually didn’t get my ticket until the day I arrived in STL.

1. September 10, 2014

[…] my never-ending pursuit to deliver rigorous financial information in a very dry and straightforward manner, I bring you the third installment of the ongoing investigative series: Great Trash […]

2. September 13, 2014

[…] write our own jokes. Bet you thought we had a […]

3. September 17, 2014